German e-commerce surpasses 845 billion euros in scale, with Amazon continuing to dominate with a 56% market share!
German e-commerce market size exceeds 845 billion euros, with Amazon's market share at 56%
According to a recent study by the German Retail Federation (HDE) reported by BusinessDialogue, in 2022 Amazon will hold a 56% share of the German e-commerce market, an increase of 2% compared to the previous year. In 2020, Amazon’s market share in Germany increased by 5%; while in 2021, it only increased by 1%.
HDE reported that Amazon’s own business has been losing money for the second year in a row, and its market share has declined by 1% since 2020, currently accounting for 17% of online sales in Germany. However, the share of third-party sellers on Amazon has been continuously growing, with third-party sellers accounting for 39% of online sales in Germany last year, compared to 36%, 34%, and 29% in previous years.
First decline in the German e-commerce market
The study shows that in 2022, the total sales of Amazon.de platform increased by only 0.1% year-on-year, setting a record low. In 2021, the total sales of the Amazon.de platform grew strongly by 22%.
- Amazon’s free backend data analysis tool is extremely useful – a secret weapon for improving e-commerce operations efficiency
- 110 Amazon stores have been frozen! Another keyword is sued for infringement and can no longer be used!
- Average order price exceeds ¥1000, and online shopping penetration exceeds 80%! Why is Amazon Germany the golden gateway of Europe?
In 2022, online sales in Germany decreased by 2.5% to 84.5 billion euros. Although there was a decline, it was still 43% higher than the year before the outbreak of the pandemic in 2019.
Last year, the share of online sales in the entire German retail industry fell by 1.3 percentage points to 13.4%, the first decline since 2001. At the same time, sales generated through Amazon.de accounted for 7.5% of total retail sales, lower than the previous two years’ 7.9% and 6.7%.
All market platforms hold 50% of the online share
The study also found that the online market share of other market platforms (such as eBay, Zalando, About You, and Otto) increased by only one percentage point to 11% in 2022. In 2022, all market platforms hold 50% of the online trade (2021: 46%), and the revenue of all market platforms increased by 2.9% compared to the previous year.
However, compared to the previous year, the online sales of other categories in Germany in 2022, i.e. excluding market platforms and Amazon’s self-operated business, decreased by 7.3%. According to the data from IFH Cologne, other online sales only accounted for 33% of the German online market share (2021: 36%).
Editor ✎ Nicole/AMZ123
Disclaimer: This article is copyrighted by BusinessDialogue and may not be reproduced without permission.
Like what you're reading? Subscribe to our top stories.
- What benefits will ChatGPT bring to Amazon sellers?
- Giant Interactive | Facebook Overseas Account – Who are the target audience of Facebook?
- Wow! Over 1000 units of inventory were abandoned and the seller was able to claim 220,000 yuan in compensation
- Amazon was exposed to have sold non-compliant smoke detectors, which caused criticism and were quickly taken down!
- Top selling list first place! These products on Amazon are all bestsellers!
- Container loss rate hits a new low! Only 000026%!
- Amazon employees plan to strike next week due to the policy of returning to the office